This bright and summery dish has us dreaming of warmer days with a tropical combination of sweet mango, creamy avocado and zesty lime. Mangoes are rich in vitamins A and C, polyphenols, and antioxidants, and help counter damaging free radicals and boost your immune system. Radishes help improve digestion and detoxification, and avocado contains heart-healthy unsaturated fats that allow your body to absorb and utilize all the vitamins and minerals in this dish.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½ cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (more to taste)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 radishes, sliced into thin half-moons
- ½ jalapeno, minced (remove the seeds and white membranes for milder heat, or omit completely)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage (about ¼ head of cabbage)
- Salt, to taste
- White rice or tortillas to serve (optional)
- Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Sauté, stirring often, until the shrimp are cooked through, firm and pink all over (4-6 minutes depending on their size). Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the mango, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, avocado, radishes, jalapeno and red cabbage to the bowl with the shrimp. Toss everything well to combine, and season to taste with more salt or lime juice if needed.
- Serve over white rice, or tucked into a tortilla.
Recipe Notes: You can also serve this dish chilled. To make it ahead to serve cold, hold back the avocado until just before serving.