Summer in South Africa means Braai – their word for BBQ. This light and bright salad makes the ideal complement to traditional BBQ fare. Serve it alongside your favorite grilled meats for a bracing and fresh counterpoint that’ll have everyone asking for seconds. Butter and kidney beans provide fiber and protein, while green beans contain folate, iron, magnesium, and potassium. The chili in the dressing provides a welcomed kick, as well as metabolism boosting capsicum, but if you’re sensitive to spice, feel free to leave it out.
Serves 4 as a side
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups green beans, stems trimmed
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red chili, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill, plus more to garnish
- Flake sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1- 15 ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt, then add the green beans and cook for 2 minutes until crisp tender. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside to drain completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, chili, honey, mustard, dill, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the beans and onion slices, and gently toss to combine.
- Add the green beans, and toss everything together, being careful to not break up the beans. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice if needed, garnish with more dill, and enjoy!