Traditionally served as a roll wrapped in rice paper, this Vietnamese classic tastes just as good in a simple to assemble salad. Naturally gluten free rice noodles serve as the base for lots of bright and healthy vegetables, protein packed tofu, and a creamy peanut dressing you’ll want to put on everything. This super hydrating salad is light yet satisfying, and comes together in only 20 minutes. Healthy and delicious in a flash!
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 8-ounce package rice noodles
- 1 large block extra firm tofu (use a flavored or marinated version if you prefer), cut into thin slices
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into thin slices
- 2 handfuls shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slices
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Fresh lime wedges, to serve
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Bring a large pot of water to a roaring boil. Add the noodles, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Drain and rinse with cold water, then shake out as much of the extra water as you can.
- Use scissors to cut the rice noodles several times to make them easier to eat (optional).
- Arrange the vegetables, tofu, cilantro, and basil over the noodles. Squeeze over a bit of fresh lime juice, then drizzle over the peanut dressing to taste (dressing recipe below). Serve with extra dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 tablespoons hot chili sauce, if desired
- Hot water to reach desired texture
Peanut Sauce Directions:
- Whisk together all the above ingredients. Add more hot water until you reach your desired texture (you want to be able to easily pour this over your salad).
The dressing will thicken upon standing and when refrigerated. Just whisk in more water to thin it out again if needed.
You can substitute shrimp, shredded chicken, or thinly sliced beef for the tofu in this recipe.