This Persian influenced grain salad packs a healthy punch with fiber rich whole grains, and vitamin powerhouse butternut squash. Squash contains immune boosting vitamin C, as well as eye protecting beta-carotene to keep your vision sharp. Pomegranate seeds lend a kick of bright flavor and color, as well as a dose of antioxidants that’s three times more potent than green tea or red wine! Serve this salad alongside grilled salmon or chicken for a well-rounded and delicious meal.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 small/medium size butternut squashed, peeled, seeded, and cut into bitesize cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked per package instructions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet pan, toss together the squash, olive oil, cumin, cardamom, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the squash roasts, cook the rice per package instructions. When cooked, stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, then set aside to cool.
- Put the pistachios on a sheet pan, and toast in the oven for 4-6 minutes, until warm and fragrant.
- When the squash is cooked, arrange it over the rice on a large plate. Top with the chopped herbs, pistachios, and pomegranate seeds. Serve while still warm. Enjoy!