Packed with savory spices and creamy coconut milk, this dish tastes so savory, you won’t even realize its vegan. Indian spices contain a plethora of beneficial nutrients. Turmeric in particular is a potent anti-inflammatory, and boosts your body’s ability to defend itself. Spinach, packed with iron, boosts your bones, and chickpeas and quinoa both deliver fiber and protein. Make up a big batch of this recipe to enjoy warming, comforting, and healthy meals all week long.
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves removed, and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 serrano chili or jalapeno, chopped (deseed to make it less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 handfuls cleaned fresh spinach
- Cooked quinoa, Vegenaise, and fresh lime wedges, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until slightly charred and almost tender.
- While the cauliflower roasts, heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Add the chili, garam masala, cumin, and turmeric, and stir well to combine. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk, and stir well to combine.
- Bring everything up to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover, and stir occasionally, while the cauliflower finishes roasting. When it’s done, add it to the pot, and stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, divide the spinach evenly between four bowls, top with warm quinoa and the Chana Masala. The residual heat will wilt the spinach in a few minutes.
- If desired, whisk 1 tablespoon Vegenaise with a squeeze of lime juice, and drizzle over each bowl. Enjoy!Note: If you can’t find Vegenaise, try another dairy-free mayo or yogurt substitute. Of if you’re not vegan, substitute unsweetened Greek or regular yogurt.