Authentic Spanish gazpacho is a real treat in the heat of the summer. Cool, flavorful, and very refreshing, this chilled soup is the perfect light summer dish. Serve with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread to round out your meal. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and other beneficial antioxidants, which bolster your skin’s defenses again the sun. Load up on this dish before you hit the beach to give yourself an extra layer of protection!
Serves 4, generously
Total Time: 15 minutes (plus time to chill)
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 seedless cucumber
- ½ red onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce, crumbled feta cheese, and fresh basil, to serve (optional)
- In a high-speed blender, add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, garlic, and 1 cup cold water. Puree until very smooth, adding a bit more water as needed to achieve your desired texture. It should be smooth but still have some body. Stir in the olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill your gazpacho for 3-4 hours, or overnight. Check the seasoning again before serving. To serve, divide the gazpacho between bowls, and top with a drizzle of olive oil, and some chopped fresh basil. Enjoy!