Classic French food doesn’t have to be all butter and heavy sauces. This healthy and satisfying recipe feels special enough to serve to company, but quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner. Scallops are packed with low fat protein, and celery root offers a less starchy and more flavorful alternative to regular white potatoes. This recipe is easily doubled for a larger group.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 scallops
- 1 celery root, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup shelled fava beans
- Salt and pepper
- Micro-greens and fresh chopped mint, to serve
- In a large pot, add the chopped celery root, and add just enough water to cover. Add the garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt. Bring up to a boil, and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain, and add to a high-speed blender with 2 tablespoons of your olive oil and a splash of water (2-4 tablespoons). Puree until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and keep covered and warm while you cook the scallops.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Dry your scallops on all sides, then place into the hot pan, and allow to cook on one side for 1-2 minutes. Season on one side with salt, than flip each scallop to the uncooked side. Use a spoon to scoop the hot oil over each scallop, giving them a nice golden brown finish. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then season with a pinch of salt, and remove from the pan.
- In the same hot oil, cook the fava beans for 1-2 minutes, until just tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On a platter, spread the celery root puree in an even layer, than top with the scallops, and sprinkle over the fava beans, micro greens, and chopped mint. Season with a bit of fresh pepper, and enjoy!