All of the amazing seafood in Panama lends itself perfectly to this fresh and light preparation. Ceviche uses the acid of citrus fruits to essentially cook the seafood without using any heat. This way of preparing the shrimp is very low in fat, and packs a healthy punch of vitamins A and C. To round out this meal, serve the ceviche with some chunks of avocado, and a few slices of bread. Keep in mind that the longer you let the ceviche sit, the firmer and more cooked the shrimp will become. Feel free to swap in any firm white fish, or even do a mix of shrimp and fish. Just get the freshest seafood you can find, and you’ll have a flavorful and healthy dish everyone’s excited about!
Active Time: 15 Minutes, Inactive Time: 1-2 hours
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ears of corn, kernels stripped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cups lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients, and stir well to combine. Make sure you have enough lime juice to completely cover the shrimp.
- Allow this mix to sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until the shrimp turns pink and opaque and the flavors have all combined. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with extra lime wedges, if desired.